After initially working in a general role at Wilson Dowd where he was exposed to Criminal Law, estate Litigation, Family Law and Personal Injuries Litigation Brian moved to McLean Phillips and Bartlett where he began to concentrate on Personal Injuries Litigation, with a particular emphasis on work related injury. He continued in that area albeit representing Insurers at Page Seager Lawyers before reverting to a wholly Plaintiff’s personal Injury Practice with Watling Roche Lawyers which became Hilliard and Associates which he ran until its merger with Slater and Gordon in 2012. Until he moved to the Bar in 2016 Brian was the Practice Group Leader for S&G in Tasmania.
Brian has appeared as counsel in the Supreme Court of Tasmania, the Federal Court of Australia, the Magistrates Court of Tasmania, the AAT and in other tribunals including most notably in the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Tribunal where he has many years of experience.
Brian was the instructing solicitor for Graeme Coote in his action against Forestry Tasmania, which was eventually decided in Graham’s favour in the High Court of Australia after decisions in the Supreme Court of Tasmania and the Court of Appeal in Tasmania (Coote v Forestry Tasmania). Brian was also instructing solicitor for Holly Raper in the recent Raper v Bowden matter in the Supreme Court of Tasmania.
- Workers Compensation
- Motor Vehicle Accident Litigation
- Medical Negligence Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Asbestos Related Litigation
- Professional Negligence
- Coronial Inquiries
- Civil Litigation
Professional Qualification and Admissions
- 1991 Admitted, Supreme Court of Tasmania and the High Court of Australia
- 1990 Bachelor of Laws, University of Tasmania
- 2012-2016 Slater and Gordon (practice group leader, Tasmania)
- 2002 – 2012 Hilliard and Associates (principal)
- 1998 – 2002 Watling Roche Lawyers (manager and senior practitioner Hobart Office)
- 1995 – 1998 Page Seager Lawyers (solicitor)
- 1992 – 1995 Mclean Phillips and Bartlett (solicitor)
- 1991 -1992 Wilson Dowd Lawyers (articled clerk and lawyer)
Memberships and Associations
- Australian Lawyers Alliance (past National President)
- Law Society of Tasmania
Brian was born in Rosebery on the West Coast of Tasmania and grew up in the mining towns of Rosebery and Savage River where his father worked in the mines. He moved to the North West Coast in his teens. He spent his later teen years studying science and engineering whilst working during study breaks at Port Latta. He eventually came to study law in his late 20s and has remained in the legal profession in Hobart ever since.