Tom graduated from the University of Tasmania in 2003 (with first class honours in both Laws and Arts).
He practises in commercial litigation, major torts, professional negligence and public law/regulation.
In addition to acting for clients in traditional litigation, Tom has also significant experience acting and advising in quasi-judicial contexts – such as Royal Commissions, Inquires, examinations, investigations and alike.
Tom is also often engaged to advise and appear in respect of allegations of potential ‘white collar crime’, including Anti-Money Laundering/Counter-Terrorism Financing, proceeds of crime, fraud and breaches of duties.
He is admitted in both Tasmania and Victoria and has chambers in both Hobart and Melbourne.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
Admitted to practice (VIC and HCA) 2005
Admitted to practice (TAS) 2016
- Royal Commission into the Casino Operator and Licence – acting for Crown Resorts Ltd and associated entities in Royal Commission before Hon. Ray Finkelstein AO QC, senior junior in counsel team of eight.
- Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry – acting for multinational insurer in Royal Commission before Hon. Kenneth Hayne AC QC.
- Directed v OE Solutions – defending claims of breach of equitable duties, contract and Copyright Act 1968 in FCA.
- JBAM & Anor v LBA Capital Pty Ltd & Ors – acting for international lenders alleging almost $400m in finance was funded to Australian entities following breaches of contract and the ACL; obtained Freezing Order unled.
- Add-On Insurance Class Actions – acting for Allianz in multiple class actions.
Recommended in multiple industry publications including Best Lawyers in Australia and Legal 500 Asia Pacific (Further available on request).
AREAS OF LAW
Equity & Trusts
Public & Administrative Law